Monday, February 19, 2018

In China, people are never far away.





I present these images from a recent trip to Hangzhou as evidence. It didn't help that I was visiting during the New Year holiday season, but in travels elsewhere at other non-peak times I've found limited opportunities (outside rural areas) to photograph without someone walking into my frame.  During my visit to Hangzhou, I waited on several occasions for up to 10 minutes for the possibility of a clear shot.  Sometimes it was, but often it was not.

I wonder if most Chinese even think about this?  I rarely see anyone who appears to be waiting for people to clear off.

What I sometimes see are obsessives like this gentleman shooting his wife and daughter.  We entered the temple about the same time, so we kept running across each other as we made our away around the complex.  At the pace I saw him working, he must have made at least one hundred images of his family that day.  Imagine how many more days he's done the same and how many thousands of images he must have accumulated.  

No comments:

Post a Comment