Thursday, March 3, 2016

Contemplative Photography: Chapter 14: Working with Light



















This is a surprisingly short chapter with an assignment to look for patterns of light, indoor or out:  dappled light, striped light, shapes and shafts of light.  The chapter contains several example images, but little in the way of description.  It is literally a half page of text.

I took a stroll across campus yesterday looking for light, and driving into the parking deck this afternoon I noted interesting light.  Perhaps I'll look for more in the next week.  We're leaving this evening for Japan and the funeral of my father-in-law.

The authors suggest a preference for doing as much technical work as possible in the camera.  There is nothing I can recall regarding post-processing, good or bad.  They just ignore it.  Or have so far.  I have only a couple of chapters remaining.

I not here the the challenge in capturing light accurately, or how you seem to perceive it apart from the camera.  Most of my exposures here were over-exposed, but just a tiny bit of tweaking in lightroom corrected this.  I've provided a pre and post example here to demonstrate.  Should I be concerned to get it right in the camera and not rely on the computer?  Purists would argue yes, but unless you don't have time for the computer, working to deadline, for example, then I don't see the harm.  It can in fact be a learning process, demonstrating to what degree exposure needs correction in this or that situation.

pre correction

post correction


*








*






 #



No comments:

Post a Comment